Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Honey and venom

Honey and venom                                                                                                

I have been in the world and of the world.
Now grown old I retire to a monk’s cell.

No great hardship – the door of my chamber
shutting out the croon and roar, glamour and paste,

honey and venom of the great Illusion.
I see now:  No worldly temptations

ever lured me into the streets without
the inner promptings of my tumultuous

heart and mind and (says my Beloved)
the surplus compulsions of the deceived creature

whom I once was and have for ages ever been.
To become purely a child of God, at last,

I must leave myself behind, breaking ages-old habits,
scatter the ashes and debris of my desire,

relinquish bit by bit a lifelong faith
in my illusory lack, my alias and alibi,

recognize and embrace, moment to moment,
(in new-found servitude and trust)

that dimly glimpsed part of me
that is and belongs always to my Beloved.

O child of God, another hit-and-miss attempt
to express the ineffable workings of the path.



No comments:

Post a Comment