Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Your wine has the power

Your wine has the power

Your wine has the power to obliterate my world.
Yet subtle and delicious is Your wine.

Tonight, my chest is soaked red from the heart’s goblet
that tilts and spills whenever You draw near.

Have You come in response to my morning prayers?
Or to my wailing and weeping in middle of the night?

Or have You come of Your own accord,
to work with the clay You find?

It doesn’t matter.  You’re here now.
Take liberties with me while I’m drunk and helpless.

Fashion me into a deeper vessel, o Lord,
then fill my throat with Your wine until I drown.

Let me go out of this world oblivious to everything
but Your stranglehold, Your blade lodged between my ribs.

Fear not, child of God, once True Love comes to the door
obliteration is the only possible result.

                                      (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment