Monday, October 12, 2020

Last ditch effort

Last ditch effort                                                                                         
 
The future dims, the past contracts,
the (ever) present gets roomier, as I elbow out
 
the inessentials – the excitements,
as well as loneliness, boredom and angst,
 
to make room for remembrance and contemplation;
less time but more space, more silence within
 
the contours of each moment.
The self shrunk into the shape of its cell,
 
not much out there really to sink its teeth into,
a duller palate and palette,
 
pared down to only that which might aid
in my (God-willing) wholehearted,
 
last ditch effort to find not the truth so much
as freedom from the false; shouting my Beloved’s name,
 
my empty cup rattling the timeless,
temporal bones of my cage.
 
O child of God, obedience becomes remembrance
in a quixotic attempt at one-pointed devotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment