Saturday, June 18, 2016

His dancing body

His dancing body                                                                                               

To appreciate God’s imagination
I must stop cherishing my own.

To view His dancing body,
I must sit still myself

and cease drawing the curtains
upon His performance, cease staging,

for my own benefit, fantastical inner choreography,
arranged, directed and starring

my unlimbered, imagined self.
God is dancing eternally before my eyes

but I am unable to catch a glimpse
for the tall man standing in front of me

for a better view himself. 
No, wait.  I’m the standing man

and the only barrier
between God and myself  

is a hard, green willfulness, a failure
of consent, intention, discipline and nerve.

O child of God, we abandon heaven at a whim
to play yet another casual game of pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment