Saturday, November 19, 2011

A house for starlings

A house for starlings                                                                          

Bit by bit, my love grows –
through the stone, thorns and tangle.

Spellbound by the moon
in the lake, I can’t lift my eyes

toward the true moon,
but I feel it in my blood.

By the way ... those stains
on Your sadra, are they wine ... or blood?

You brought out a rare vintage,
then shattered the bottle with the hilt of Your sword.

Grapes must be crushed before wine
can be served in long-stemmed glasses.

Thread is twisted and pushed through a needle’s eye –
now the mending can begin.

Once the gourd is hollow, it proves useful –
a musical instrument, a dipper at the well,
          a house for starlings ....

O child of God, it’s a process and a journey.
Impatient one, you are right on track.

                            (from A Jewel in the Dust)

No comments:

Post a Comment