Tuesday, June 29, 2021

The fruition of His mercy

The fruition of His mercy                                                                                         
I have come to sow the seed of love
in your hearts, said my Lord,
 
and so I await the fruition of His mercy.
Love is not a decision to make.
 
I shall not be moved to love Him
(as He should be loved) by any calculation
 
nor all the willpower I might muster – not until
my heart-soil is sufficiently turned and broken.      
 
It’s not a task assigned, but a process to endure.
The hardscrabble illusion of my autonomy keeps that seed
 
(now merely a buried potential) from taking root,
until the moment (by God’s accord and schedule)
 
the soil crumbles, my heart expands, ripens, softens
to ultimately flower in its divine destiny.
 
O child of God, the attempt to love Him (in return)
stirs the latent, inchoate force within.




No comments:

Post a Comment