Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Shoebox

Shoebox                                                                                         
 
What straightforward thing, square and true,
ever comes from a crooked man in a crooked house?
 
I’m innocent of only one thing – my attraction to You.
That was Your doing.
 
I left my apartment for a pack of cigarettes
          and never went back.
I rounded the corner and was gone!
 
Turning corner after corner, thoroughly bewildered.
I left my valuables in a shoebox on the top shelf,
 
but I’ve lost the street address.
Randomly knocking on doors
 
while You wait in the back of a Nash Rambler.
Only You hold the key.
 
O child of God, lost your bearings?
Everywhere you go the Beloved is there.


                                  (from A Jewel in the Dust, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment