Saturday, March 14, 2020

The chime

The chime                                                                                                     

The chime is at the mercy of the breeze,
too lightweight to resist the merest ripple,

incapable of sustaining a mute immobility
and thus its music and silence are never its own.

Repeatedly, stirrings of ire and sanctimony
jostle the chime within me, shattering all composure.

Yet, its clang and clamor is not my own!
It comes from a tempestuous source to which I have

for ages been a slave and which I now renounce;
seek to still and soften its influence; diligently

labor to insulate my gossamer susceptibilities
from the harsh winds of Maya and Mind. 

O child of God, the source of discordant music
is your cracked and misshapen instrument of self.

No comments:

Post a Comment