Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Rabbit hole

Rabbit hole
 
Words again (and again) after
waking up from some rabbit hole dream
 
to the more familiar one (known as my life),
having lost my command of words,
 
especially the verbs, which demand
I take some sort of remedial action.
 
After a lifetime of interpreting/
explaining myself (and life) to myself, 
 
my stable of words has become as rebellious,
untethered and empty now as the rabbit hole itself –
 
(not a scintilla of wonder or adventure left in it).
I chalk out one more two-dimensional conjecture,
 
tasteless and stale on the sidewalk at my feet
as it is in my mouth and ears
 
and I ask myself – is it my words
that are so ineffectual or is it the dream itself? 
 
O child of God, how difficult it is to put into words
that which you know nothing about.


(drawing by Rich Panico)





      


   

No comments:

Post a Comment