Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Out of earshot

Out of earshot                                                                                     
 
You’ve had enough of words, said my Lord,
but in truth, I have been long content
 
measuring my appraised worth against
distant utterings and their echoes –
 
sound waves crashing upon an empty shore;
quotations taken always from someone else’s book.
 
I have sought lifelong the living among the dead,
surrounding myself like a consensus
 
with cardboard and paper gravestones
as I pray so touchingly, beseech so effetely
 
for a truth that was never there for me
or has long since fled.
 
So very long it has taken me to hear it –
truth doesn’t enter through the ear.
 
O child of God, seek the truth out of earshot –
in the cavern of your chest.



No comments:

Post a Comment