Friday, July 5, 2019

Child of God

Child of God                                                                                            

An identity and a relationship;
a way of addressing myself

in the last couplet; not so bold
as inserting my name

into the body of the poem.
It was chosen for me,

its truth revealed a thousand poems later – 
this settled upon child of God

being who I really am – all I really am
and who I must of my own accord

solely become, eschewing all other
false, ephemeral and relative identities –

poet, author, mortal man;
father, grandfather, brother, son;

husband, lover, citizen, friend . . .
pared down to this one identity,

this one naked fundamental –
my relationship with my Creator.

O child of God, pray for the dissolution
of all identities and relationships.



No comments:

Post a Comment